Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
During the day, the streets of London are full of tourists admiring the many famous buildings and shops; but during the night the streets of London come to life.
Nightlife and London go hand in hand and with so many different clubs, bars, and pubs to choose from, you can spend many months in London and still not experience the whole nightlife.
Every neighborhood in London has something special when it comes to nightlife:
- Mayfair: Located in the heart of the city, Mayfair is one of the most expensive and exclusive areas in London, with five-star hotels, shops, restaurants, bars, and pubs. The most popular street is Bond Street.
- Soho: Located in the city center, close to Tottenham Court Road Tube Station, it is famous for its trendy restaurants, live music, cool bars, and clubs. It is also the center of gay nightlife in the city. It has iconic places like Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square.
- East London: East London is a vibrant and culturally interesting neighborhood. It is known for its exclusive restaurants, bars, and clubs.
- Shoreditch: You can get there from Old Street tube station. The area is known for cultural events, many pubs and nightclubs that offer a wide variety of music. Go to Happiness Forgets, London’s oldest underground bar. It is one of the top 10 cocktail bars in the world.
- Camden: Located in north west London, it is a well-known area for bohemian nightlife. It is one of the most famous neighborhoods in London, with the most eccentric shops and live music almost every night. Camden is home to the largest pub in Europe. World’s End hosted Radiohead and is one of the most popular pubs in Camden, with excellent selections of local beer.
- Brixton: Get off at Victoria Lane tube station and you will discover a neighborhood with a mix of Jamaican cultures and colors. This is the perfect place for music lovers. You will find very good bars, clubs, and concert halls for all tastes.
Before planning a night in the town, keep in mind that most pubs close at 11 pm Monday to Saturday. On the other hand, bars usually close between midnight and 1:30 am during the week, and on weekends clubs generally remain open until 4:00 am.
Weekends tend to be the most expensive, while Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays tend to be the cheapest (even in expensive areas like Soho). However, if you want to spend a night in Soho on a weekend, you can try to enter a club or bar before 10 pm, or even before 9 pm to avoid expensive entrance fees.
You could also try going to a few bars during Happy Hour (which is usually between 5 pm and 8 pm) and take advantage of cheap cocktails or two drinks at the price of one on any night of the week. Some bars may have a small entrance fee between 8:30 pm and 12 am. Pubs are much cheaper than bars and clubs.
If you want to find out some facts about London, check out our article on this topic: 14 interesting facts about London.
[Photo from Pexels]